The Bottom Line
- Ceramic Guides
- Fast Action Tip
- Heavy action Butt Provides the Guts
- Custom Cork Handles
- Lightest Rods on the Market
- Price - but you get what you pay for!
- GL3 Graphite composition - extremely light weight.
- Ceramic guides for smooth casts.
- Cork handle for a better grip. Includes a special rounded butt end.
- Fast action tip allows for long casts with light lures.
- 7 foot length can reach out on those long casts.
Guide Review - GLoomis GCR842C GL3 Casting Rod
This year I tried a new rod - the GL3 GCR842C casting model. It is offered as an inshore saltwater rod by GLoomis, but it can handle a whole lot more than light tackle fishing. Try an 18 pound redfish on 12 pound test line!
This model has an extra fast tip that allows for long casts. The seven foot length also helps in the casting department.
Advertised as "light" power, this rod has more guts than any off the rack discount rod. I could really horse that redfish around without fear of damaging my rod.
Like all GLoomis rods, it comes with a custom cork handle that is easy to grip. The GL3 graphite composition gives you not only light weight, but sensitivity to feel even the most subtle bite.
I added two of these to my tackle this year, and I am extremely pleased. They cost a bit more than other rods, but hey - you get what you pay for. Quality does not always come cheap.