1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

It's Time to Say "So Long..."

By December 6, 2012

Photo © Ron Brooks

I have been blessed! I have been the guide here on About.com's Saltwater Fishing site for almost 15 years. It has been a thrill, but the time has come for me to hand the reins over to someone else. Lots of issues are causing me to step down, the major one being my wife's current battle with cancer. I've made a lot of friends, met a ton of people, and tried to share my fishing knowledge with all of you. I have had a ball! Almost 15 years! It's been quite a ride for me. Since 1998 I have been sharing my fishing experiences and knowledge with people around the world. I will find it difficult to wake up every morning and not be checking and updating my site.

About.com is a great compilation of people - over 900 of them - who have a passion for their subject and a desire to share that passion with the world. I will miss my friends at About.com, and I will miss all my online fishing friends who email me regularly, and faithfully read my work. I have so many people to thank, and the first in that thank-you line is Ronnie Garrison, About.com's Freshwater Fishing Guide.

Photo  Ron Brooks

Ronnie is the man who got me started not just at About.com, but also writing for several outdoor magazines. Ronnie - you are the man!

A new guide is standing in the wings to take over and provide new, fresh content and answers to your fishing questions. I've made my recommendation, and the selection process is underway. Until then, you will still see the site updated and you will still receive the weekly newsletter if you are subscribed. So, hang in there! And when the new guide is announced, I encourage all of you to welcome that person the way you always welcomed and encouraged me.

Comments

November 29, 2012 at 5:21 pm
(1) Joseph says:

Give it a break brother, maybe you’ll be back. regardless, thank you for all the info., God bless.

December 5, 2012 at 9:45 am
(2) Paulo says:

Dear Ron

One thing I cannot forget is your past note about your father’s love for fishing. Seasons greetings and blessings for you and your family.
Paulo

December 6, 2012 at 4:37 am
(3) Tim says:

Ron, we will miss you and your insight tremendously. I have looked forward to each post for quite a while now. But most important however is your wife’s health. I’m sure she needs your full time attention and support to deal with such a difficult disease. We will all have you and she in our thoughts and prayers. God’s speed our friend. Tim

December 6, 2012 at 6:13 am
(4) David Howell says:

Thanks Ron for sharing your knowledge and love of fishing! I wish the best for you and your wife!

December 6, 2012 at 6:49 am
(5) Jimmie says:

Ron,
One of my favorite quotes is:

“Fishing is not so much about catching fish as it is being in a place where fish are likely to be caught”.

Your dedication and commitment over the past 15 years has helped me and countless others enjoy the fishing experiences on the water as well as the experiences when we could only be there in our minds. You have served us well and your efforts are very appreciated.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

You have indeed made many friends and we appreciate you for bringing our fishing, friends and family together.

Captain Jim

December 6, 2012 at 7:34 am
(6) SSI Joe says:

Ron,
Thanks for years of writeups and stories. You about.com corner has been my number 1 goto site for our coastal fishing information. and the one I always refer folks to when they pipe up with any interest on how to fish this area.

Your articles on the howto’s and whereto’s have been in large part for the enjoyment I’ve had and shared with others on our local fishing outings. Lots of good memories and oictures, thanks to you.

A prayer for you and family that the future holds good things ahead. Thanks again.

December 6, 2012 at 7:55 am
(7) javier says:

Sad to know this but God have’s better plans for you and wife! Thank you for everything.

December 6, 2012 at 8:13 am
(8) David Bhattacharjie says:

Dear Ron,
Needless to say, i and everybody else who go through your posts will miss you tremendously. You are the Nana ( Grand Daddy ) of fishing and your priceless ( in more ways than one ) tips encapsulating sport angling in totality will have ‘no parallel. At least not in the immediate or near future.
As we say before winding up for the day-’Another 10 minutes’ which invariably goes into the next hour, we do hope you’ll get tired of the rocking chair and once again hit the rocking motion of an anchored yacht to keep our fishing rocking as usual.
Seasons Greetings to You & Your Family.
God Bless.
David
Dubai-UAE

December 6, 2012 at 8:21 am
(9) David Bhattacharjie says:

Ron,
Our Prayers Are With Your Wife And You.
May the Good Lord give you the strength to go through this trying times.
From all of us here in Dubai, UAE.
Your posts reach me on a Thursday and the next day is the beginning of our weekends. Your posts gets us in to the mood to go out and literally try out every tip you pen. And it works.
God Bless You & Your Family.
Sincere Regards,
David Bhattacharjie.
Dubai-UAE

December 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm
(10) Capt Jeff says:

I’ve been a follower for a long time and I hate to see you go but your priorities are in order. God be with you and your wife. If you get down to Islamorada and need a partner look me up.

December 6, 2012 at 3:26 pm
(11) Officer Michael says:

Dear Ron

Thank you for the knowledge you have given to me and many others. Fishing has been my path back through PTSD and combat in Iraq and also many years as a police officer. Your site has helped me to learn the great sport along with many others. My prayers will be with your wife in her battle and you for your support of her. I pray she will do just fine. Again thank you and I look forward to your return.

Officer Michael Hayward

December 13, 2012 at 3:35 pm
(12) Ed Hamel says:

Ron,
You have provided me with information enough to make me a better fisherman. I have better success in catching fish and the knowledge to know when to release the ones to grow for our children to catch and I can pass to them what you gave me.

Edmund Hamel